Schweitzer Degen 1899 and bladed weapons of the swiss army

Swissatheart

11. Dez. 2022
Hello, 

First of all greetings,

i am a great fan of Switzerland and its political and military structure, i am a collector of swiss military items, swords, daggers, uniforms ect. 

I have some questions out of curiocity about the swiss army swords currently used. 

The M1899 offiziersdegen is the only current officers sword? As i understand. 

Im curious about how these are currently procured and issued? 

Does the officer have to purchase this sword himself upon graduation or during officer training from a private supplier?.

Or Is the sword issued from the government at no cost to the officer?.

Or is the sword purchased by the officer from the government stock at a rrgulated price?. 

I am curious as i can see many older private purchase M1899 degen with quite a variation from the standard model but recent ones from the last 60 years are all very similar.

Regards, 

The M1899 sword is not issued since 1944. Thus I strongly assume official production has been discontinued. 

Officers and senior NCOs since then get a Dagger M43. They receive the dagger upon graduation for free, however it has not been part of any uniform since 1995. The old daggers have been produced by Victorinox and SIG Neuhausen, and are stamped with a serial number. Newer models have no serial number and I don't know where or who produces them (they have not any visible marking). I'd be quite curious to know myself. 

Here you find some good information: Details zu Bajonett Dolch Mod. 43 (swisswaffen.com)

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:
Reaktionen: Swissatheart
Thank you for the reply, yes i had presumed that military production in switzerland had ended in 1941, but after that date i have seen commercially made swords that are 1899 degen in their pattern that are made in germany by makers such as WKC, Eichhorn or Horster or frank schmitz. Additionally several makers today offer the 1899 in their catalogues. (balp and WKC)..
Im curious if the official requirement for officers to have a sword and for issue of a sword ended in 1941 then who were the customers after that date?
Were they for the swiss government for ceremonial guard duity? Parade uniforms? officers clubs? Military schools? Gifts for retiring officers?
I know the market for these things can be quite broad and complex some times just like how the us military dosnt require officers swords but its still tradition in some military schools to purchase them for their graduation ect.
Ive seen swiss military hangers - short hunters swords made in the 1960s and 70s by horster in a style like a 19th century hunters sword.. Made for some municipal government for some reason, maybe honor guards or a parade?.
I see the swiss military performs military parades in historical attire frequently. Maybe these swords are made for such a market?

As to the daggers - yes WKC offers the swiss m43 dagger on their website.. But who makes it for them i do not know.. India.. China.. Its anyones guess as the current company WKC is hardly a manufacturer anymore. Thanks